Towards the end of November last year I asked our Facebook ladies if they could share what they had used for relieving constipation after hysterectomy and I’d like to share there various answers here with you. This is not an exhaustive list, and it doesn’t mean that everything suggested here will work for everyone, but with a bit of trial and effort you should find a solution if you are having this problem. They are not in any particular order – just as I picked them up off Facebook.
- Colts foot rock. Get it at old fashioned sweet shops.
- Kiwi fruit smoothie, curries, fibre
- Punes and prune juice
- Over the counter citrus nitrate
- Milk of Magnesia every other day.
- Lactulose, tastes like liquid sugar but it works.
- Eat loads of veg
- Eat two – three pears daily
- Plain cooked beetroot
- Extra dose of vitamin magnesium
- Peppermint tea and ginger tea at night
- One kiwi fruit
- Movacol to get things moving and then had branflakes and fruit everyday
- Ducloease at night to soften stools
- Smooth Move tea if you can get it from a health food shop
- Plenty of fruit and high bran cereals
- Short walk even around the home as it helps to move things along
- Prunes and hot water bottle on tummy
- Aloe Vera capsules
- Senna tablets
- Liquorice alsorts
- Cut out all gluten & wheat which can help you stop feeling sluggish too
- Tangerine and hot cup of tea
- Nibble on dried prunes or dried apricots
- Peppermint water, but you may need to find a compounding chemist to make it
- Peppermint tea helps relieve gas too
- Prunes and grapefruit for breakfast every morning
And finally, the Hysterectomy Cocktail is what you might be given in hospital: Warm Water, peppermint oil and 2 dissolving painkillers. Apparently it’s horrible but it works.
It’s also worth bearing in mind though that paracetamol can make things worse, so try a different pain relief if you are using it.
I just wanted to say thanks to: Jen, Margaret, Lavine, Betty, Sherry, Christine, Glen, Emma, Vlasta, Jennifer, Erryl, Alyson, Jane, Mandy, Nikki, Darlene, Charmain, Rachel, Holly, Lisa, Jenny, Catherine, Andrea, Sarah, Audrey, Julie W, Tessa, Alex, Debbie J, Markelle, Debbie B, Julie E and Kaye for their suggestions and comments.
Why not come along and join in with the rest of the community on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/HysterectomyUK