If you’ve had a hysterectomy there will be many questions that you probably want answered. These can range from ‘Am I normal?’ to ‘When can I get back to work?’. This quick start page has been set up to give you easy access to the most relevant parts of the Hysterectomy Association website. These are the places where your questions may be answered already.
There are many things which almost everyone suffers from after a hysterectomy; these include painful wind and urinary tract infections. Whilst not pleasant they are so common as to be normal. Many women also wonder if their recovery is progressing ‘normally’. It is important to remember that there are many shades of grey when it comes to the word ‘normal’ and recovery is dependent on a number of different factors such as how healthy you were before the op, what your home situation is like, what type of operation you had, your age and levels of fitness. Each of these combine to mean that everyone recovers differently.
Perhaps you’d like to get back to your usual fitness routine? An issue that many women have is ‘when can I go back to work?’, this question isn’t necessarily as easy to answer as the simple six weeks as again it will depend on so many factors that are unique to you including what type of hysterectomy you’ve had, the sort of work you do and how you get there. On average though most women go back at between nine and 13 weeks post hysterectomy.
You may also be wondering about things like the menopause and whether it’s going to be an issue for you. If that is the case then perhaps you need to think about whether you plan to HRT or are going to ‘do it’ naturally.
Useful links and resources on the website:
- How long will it take me to recover?
- Should I have a hospital check-up after my hysterectomy?
- When can I return to work after my hysterectomy?
- What are the things I must avoid after my hysterectomy?
- When is it OK to have sex after a hysterectomy?
- When can I fly after my hysterectomy?
- Should I expect mood swings after hysterectomy even though I’ve been through the menopause?
- How do I deal with vaginal dryness?
- When will I go through the menopause?
- Will I still have periods?
Blog Post Category
- QSG – Is a hysterectomy right for me?
- QSG – I’m having a hysterectomy
- QSG – I’ve had a hysterectomy
- Women’s health conditions
- Alternatives to hysterectomy
- Hysterectomy recovery
- Hysterectomy risks
- The menopause
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Hysterectomy and emotions
A Privilege to Read!
“I have just finished reading “In my own Words ” and I couldn’t put it down. It is so interesting and incredible how everyone’s story is different with the variation in emotion for me as the reader moving from being saddened, to being amazed and even being inspired.” Jane Williams